As we have already mentioned, one of Fatima Zahra’s (A.S.) names was "At Taherah" (the virtuous or pure). This meaning is related to the verse:
"And Allah only wished to remove all abomination from you, ye member of the Family and to make you pure and spotless." XXXIII:33
The above mentioned is of great importance because of its subtle meaning and significance.
This verse is considered the main source of virtues granted to Ahlul-Bayt (A.S.); around it various debates and many writings took place. It might be more appropriate to say that this verse was the field of debates, contradicting viewpoints and inconsistent opinions. This is especially true when it comes to who was meant by "the Family," or Ahlul-Bayt.
Nevertheless, it is indisputable that this verse, known as "The verse of purification," concerns Fatima At-Taherah (a.s), both Shiite and Sunni scholars agree on this, save a very small number. This established fact has been reached in light of the traditions that unanimously state that the said verse includes Ali, Fatima, Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain (A.S.).
Yet some hold the viewpoint that the verse includes the Prophet’s wives-because of the word "Family" and the sequence of the surrounding verses which include a speech to them. However, he (P.B.U.H.) prohibited even his wife, Um Salama, from joining them under the cloak prior to the revelation of this verse.
Although the number of narrators who report that the "verse of purification" was revealed regarding Ali, Fatima, Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain (A.S.) reach several hundreds, it will be useful to include narrations and sources which are reported by prominent sunni Scholars about this subject. I would like to point out that this list should be satisfying for any clear conscience.
1. Baghdadi in his history book, V. 10, mentioned that Abu Sa’id Al-Khudare remarked regarding the verse:
‘And Allah only wished to remove all abomination from you, ye members of the Family and to make you pure and spotless,"
That the Messenger of Allah (P.B.U.H.) gathered Ali, Fatima, Al-Hassan and AI-Hussain under a cloak and said:
These are my Ahlul-Bayt (i.e., Family), O Allah; remove all abominations from them and make them pure and spotless."
Um Salama, who was standing near the door, said:
"Am I not one of them, O Messenger of Allah?"
"You are (up to a) good ending."
2. Zamakhshari in Al-Kashaf, V.1, p. 193 narrated on the account of Aisha, that Allah’s Messenger came out wearing an embroidered, ornamented cloak of woven black hair, when Hassan came to him and went under it; then Hussain followed him, then Fatima, then Ali. At that moment (P.B.U.H.) quoted the verse:
"And Allah only wished to remove all abominations from you, ye Members of the Family, and to make you pure and spotless."
3. Razi in his interpretation of the Quran V. 2, P. 700, (printed) in Istanbul, writes:
When he (the Prophet (P.B.U.H.)) came out wearing the black cloak and Al-Hassan came under it and Al-Hussain, and Fatima and Ali, the Prophet said: ‘And Allah only wishes..."
4. Ibn Al-Athir Al-Jazari reported in his book Usd Al Ghaba Fi Maarefat As-Sahabah V. 2, P. 12, that Omar Ibn Abu Salamah, the Prophet’s stepson, said:
"When the verse ‘And Allah only wishes...’ was revealed to the Prophet (P.B.U.H.), he had gathered Fatima, Hassan and Hussain under his cloak while Ali was behind him, and said:
‘This is my family, therefore, remove all abomination from them, and make them pure and spotless.’
Um Salama said: ‘Am l one of them, Messenger of Allah?’ He said ‘You will be in good condition.’"
5. Sebt Ibn Al-Jawzi reported in Tathkerah Al-Aemah, P.244, that Wathelah Ibn Asqa’ said:
‘I went to ask Fatima (A.S.) about Ali; she told me to go to the Messenger of Allah (P.B.U.H.) and ask him, so I went and sat down to wait for him; I then saw the Prophet corning in the company of All, Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain. He held their hands until they entered the room. He then sat Al-Hassan on his right leg and Al-Hussain on his left leg and ordered Ali and Fatima to sit near him. The Prophet covered them with his cloak (or garment) and read:
‘And Allah only wishes... ‘ Then he (P.B.U.H.) supplicated to Allah and said:
‘0 Allah, truly these are my Ahlul-Bayt (Family)."
6. Imam Wahedi reported in his book Asbab An-Nozul that Um Salama, the Prophet’s wife, narrated that Allah’s Messenger (P.B.U.H.) was present in her house when Fatima brought him an earthenware pot filled with wheat cooked with milk. He (P.B.U.H.) said: "Call in your husband and two sons for me." Thus, All, Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain came and joined him in eating the food. Meanwhile, he (P.B.U.H.) sat on a bench, covered with a Khairban cloak. Um Salama added:
"I was in my room performing prayers when the Arch-Angel Gabriel revealed:
‘0 Allah, these are my Family and Kin; therefore, remove all abomination from them and make them pure and spotless.’
At hearing that I looked in the house and said: ‘Am I one of them, 0 Apostle of Allah?’
Moreover, Tirrnadhi reported in his "Sahih" that Allah’s Messenger (P.B.U.H.), since the time this verse was revealed and for six months thereafter, stood by Fatima’s house (door) and said:
"(Time for) prayers Ahlul-Bayt; Allah only wished to remove all abomination from you and make you pure and spotless."
7. Abu Bakr Sayuti narrated this tradition on the authority of Urn Salama, Aisha, Abu Sa’id AI-Khudari, Zeid Ibn Arqam, Ibn Abbas, Dahak Ibn Muzahim, Abu Al-Hamra, Omar Ibn Salama and others in his books: Al-Dur Al-Manthour V. 5, P. 198, Al-Khasaes Al-Kubra V. 2, P. 264, and Al-Itqan V.2, P. 200.
They all reported that the Prophet (P.B.U.H.) gathered Fatima, Ali, Al-Hassan and Al-Hussain, when the verse ‘And Allah only wishes to remove... "and covered them with a cloak. He then said: "By Allah, these are my Ahlul-Bayt, therefore remove all abomination from them pure and spotless."
8. Tabari in Dhakhaer Al-Uqbi p. 21, declared that this verse was revealed in regard to the purified five (the Prophet, Ali, Fatima, Hassan, Hussain), relying on Omar Ibn Abu Salama’s narration.
9. Muhammad Ibn Ahmad Al-Ghoutroubi reported that this verse was revealed in regard to Ahlul-Bayt (AS) in his book Al-Jame’ Li Ahkam Al-Quran V. 14, P. 182.
10. Ibn Al-Arabi in his book Ahkam Al-Quran V. 2, P. 166.
11. Ibn Abd Al-Bir A1-Ondolosi in his book Al-Esti’ab V. 2, P. 460.
12. Al-Bihaqi in his book As Sunan Al-Kubra V. , P. 149.
13. Al-Hakim Al-Nishaburi in his book Al-Mustadrak Al- Sahihain V.2, P.416.
14. Ahmad Ibn Hanbal in Musrad V. 1, P. 331.
15. Nisaee in Khasa’es p. 4.
16. Muhammad Ibn Jarir Al-Tabari in his interpretation of the Quran, V. 22, P. 5.
17. Al-Kharazmiin kitab Al-Manaqib p.35.
18. Al-Haithami in Majma’ Al-Zawaed V. 9, P. 166.
19. Ibn Hijr AI-Haithami in Sawaiq AI-Muhriqa P.85.